Sunday, April 09, 2006

all for 1 and 1 for all

An idea came to me while showering. It is about to man's search for meaning and the great chain of being. Hasn't my/our search become focused on what the meaning of our lives are. Like Jung and others have said, this reflection of us on ourselves, on who we are, on becoming aware of our individuality is the latest chapter in the evolution of consciousness. People use many methods to give meaning to their lives, depending on their own level of awareness. But in the shower i entertained a thought that should be obvious but wasn't before. That what is inexplicable in my life belongs to a higher order of meaning. Of course religious orders take this for granted, bit i had long since walked out of that perspective and had to find my own explanation again. That gave me consolation, that this boundless 'one' i'm part of causes events i have no control over. Of course i also have some freedom that i have responseabilty over but i have to be aware of that which is beyond me. This doesn't mean I cannot love or fight in this limited role, just that i am aware of the boundless around me and to be better atuned and in harmony with it, if possible.

Another thing came up in meditation and a conversation with J, and because of a situation at the moment. So often we and i errect a barrier around ourselves to keep out other views, other possibilities. Some people start every sentence with the word no, other's like myself when listening to people silently 'judge' their words for it's veracity, depth, etc. Now mediation taught me today just to let go and watch 'things' come in. Seems easy hih but damn hard. It's so dangerous we feel. But it's really amazing to listen to others and EVEN OURSLEVES without 'reacting' defensively, judgementally to what is being said. The amazing freedom comes from this: when we let these sensations come in it means we have nothing to fear from them, nothing to defend against. No energy to waste on expensive 'defense'forces. Well those are my hippie ideas for today...(the judge in me comments ;)

We carry in our hearts the true country
And that cannot be stolen

- Midnight Oil.

No comments: