Wednesday, November 02, 2005

You can call me Ran

At Samhain(All Hallows) we remember and give thanks to all those good souls who have helped us and the world, and who have found peace. In the original celebration of Samhain the guy, representing our old self who has served well, is placed on the bonfire so that it might be consumed in fire, so releasing its light to bless the community and the land. from zoence- the science of life


last night i was rolling around in my thoughts. and the idea came to me to give myself a new name. It's not that i dislike my old name, but i never really felt inspired by it. Half my family and the christian world are called paul. This change feels intuitively right and wasn't consciously planned. A few days ago i suddenly thought of adding my mother's family name to my surname and that's how it started. In the latin world both the father and mother's surnames are used.

Not that names are the most important thing, but if you're going to use one, you might as well like it. like clothes. And it feels kind of exciting to choose my own name this time. I also decided to throw out my middle name(like a unused apendix :) I'll put my old name in its place because it has served me well after all.

Some meanings of Ran:
Japanese - chaos, rebellion, war, upheaval, excess; water lily(symbolizing purity), orchid; a cute sound one makes when happy; the change that results from adding a new element to an existing order
Norse - sea goddess of storms. She collects drowned people in her net.
Hindi - queen.
Tibetan - "time to do" particle, certain time, kind of grass
Anglo Saxon surname - pure, clear.
Hebrew - Happy, song, sing, prayer, chant, ringing cry usually associated with joy
& apparantly a good movie by Akira Kurosawa

Paul:
greek - small, little, humble

Yours newly
Ran-paul
time is now for a small rebellion towards joy & clarity ;)

No comments: